TOLU'S DIARY - DECLINE IN MARRIAGE



DECLINE IN MARRIAGE

Hi diary,
After a long day at work, I retired home to my bed to get some rest. I tried to close my eyes but couldn’t zoom off to sleep as I listened to conversation from a saloon which was a block away from my residence. I have heard several romantic and sexual stories from this frequency (saloon) but today’s discussion by the ladies struck my mind as if Thor was in action.
’My baby boy will clock six tomorrow, I have catered for him all alone through these years, so why will I stay under one man’s roof in the name of marriage’’ an anonymous sonorous voice said. ‘’Singlehood is so sweet; you would be free like a bird, chase your dream without disturbance and enjoy life to the fullest. If our society questions you, show them the number of marriages in which their wedding rings has been thrown into the lagoon’’ another said. ‘’…but God’s mandate for his handwork is to be fruitful and multiply’’ another jumped in as I turned, trying to adjust my antenna. ‘’which planet are you from madam? When there are several means of procreation. With medical science, you would be pregnant without the joystick. That’s if you really don’t want a baby father’’ if I don’t know any other voice, I think I know this, it’s from the saloon owner. With these, I confirmed that the marriage institution is declining in our society. Three out of the four speakers were sick of ‘’marriage’’. I knew in my mind that the apprentices who were silent were well fed.
In truth, these ladies have found alternatives to living as a couple just like the opposite sex. Men are the best subscriber to these at this very age. All you have to do is to have a baby mama to procreate. Sex is never a big deal because at a wink of an eye, you would have access to ladies at any rate. You might don’t want to become a chef, the array of fast foods and restaurants have been feeding mouths since ages past. If the benefits of getting married are enjoyed then there should be a way out to make marriage worth it. In this regard, I felt there should be something that would make guys sees sense in the marital institution. I felt friendship could be a way out. If we could have a friend not a husband/wife who would serve as the heart beat for which life depends, then marriage would worth it. A friend with whom you could build the Tower of Babel together; set goals, chase dreams and accomplish it. A friend with whom you will not get tired come rain, come sunshine. A friend with whom marriage is not an institution, but eternal life. Diary, you are lifeless, you could have been a perfect friend. Blue, black or red ink, you have never quit. All you have to do now is to make your realize marriage still worth it. Well, I can see you brimming with smiles. See you again guys. Gracias!



Fasuyi Tolulope Samuel is a budding poet and novelist. He has featured in two ebook publications; Woman vs Man: A cultural difference and 'A woman's pot, a man's stomach': A collection of poem on delicacies both by Sandra T. Adeyeye. He has a B.Sc Hons in Microbiology from Adekunle Ajasin university, Akungba-Akoko Ondo state. A lover of artwork, music and football. Tolu hails from Akure in Ondo state. The single Youngman is interested in taking Africa to the world with his style of writing.      
All rights to this content is reserved, No part of this content may be used or reproduced in any form without the prior written permission of the writer, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and uses permitted by copy right law. For permission requests, email the media team at: content@niwcolony.com. Please click on the subscribe button to receive latest blog updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How BIZEdo AGN elects Osagie Elegbe as New Chairman

Edo AGN elects Osagie  Elegbe as new chairman According to Adedayo Odulaja, Edo state chapter of the Actors Guild of Nigeria (AGN)...